True confession: I’m a quote hoarder.
I underline, dog-ear, highlight, copy and paste other people’s wisdom several times a day. I keep 3×5 cards in my purse and scribble quotes in the dark at the movies. I say, “Ooooh that’s a good one.” A lot.
And I’ve been doing this for years.
So, today, I’m sharing just a sliver of the insight, advise and sayings that have caught my eye, grabbed my heart and challenged me to grow. They are changing me. And I hope these ancient/modern musings make you stop and think or reevaluate your own view of things and, like they have for me, may they give you a little more juice for your journey of living, loving and leading.
What I want you to know:
* It caused me great pain (no torture) to limit this to merely 47.
*Quotes appear in no certain order. They are ALL my favorites.
*Just because I quote someone it doesn’t mean I agree with every single thing they have ever written or what they believe. (Heck, I can’t recall ever agreeing with everything ANYONE has ever said.) I like the adage, “Chew the meat and spit out the bones.”
*All truth is God’s Truth no matter who presents it. I draw from all kinds of sources that resonate with my own life experience or with the Spirit in me. I want to be able to learn from anyone.
* Pick one quote to pass on or to tape to your bathroom mirror.
*Read slow and… savor.
1) The longer one stays in flight from reality, the more painful will be the landing.
2) Your task is not to seek for love but to merely find the barriers within yourself that you have built up against it.
3) The thing about denial is that it doesn’t feel like denial when it’s going on.
4) We become whomever we trust the most says we are.
5) I was born, when all I once feared, I could love.
6) Where is the Life we lost in living?
7) We have all laid the best plans for our children, and then they go out and ruin it all by growing up any way they want to.
8) The way we treat people we disagree with most is a report card on what we’ve learned about love.
9) In prosperity our friends know us. In adversity, we know our friends.
10) For although God is right with us and in us and out of us and all through us, we have to go on journeys to find him.
11) When I believed my thoughts I suffered.
12) It’s all that pretending to be perfect that breeds inauthenticity in the church.
13) All paths do not lead to God. But God will meet you on whatever path you’re on.
14) You can either practice being right or practice being kind.
15) Sin never introduces itself to us as pain.
16) The lesson that has been hardest for me to learn: there is nothing to prove.
17) You have power over your mind- not over outside events. Realize this and you will find strength.
18) You need to select your thoughts the same way you select your clothes every day. If you want to control things in your life so bad, work on your mind. That’s the only thing you should be trying to control.
19) Sometimes, to be happy in the present moment, you have to be willing to give up hope for a better past.
20) One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
21) Sometimes, in life, nothing happens. But, sometimes, nothing happens beautifully.
22) When you say a situation or a person is hopeless, you are slamming the door in the face of God.
23) We find it hard to love imperfect things so we imagine God is just as small as we are. If we expect or need things to be perfect or to our liking ( including ourselves) we have created a certain path for a very unhappy life.
24) We are shaped by what we love.
25) Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.
26) The impeded stream is the one that sings.
27) No matter how bad things are, you can always make things worse.
28) Love is the absence of judgement.
Dali Lama XIV
29) I was changing my outfits, my looks, my wig, sometimes several times a day. That’s when I know my soul is restless.
30) Sin is unwillingness to trust that what God wants for me is only my deepest happiness.
Ignatius of Loyola
31) There are three things we have to let go of. The first is the compulsion to be successful. Second, is the compulsion to be right—especially theologically right. (That’s merely an ego trip, and because of this “need” churches split in half, with both parties prisoners of their own egos.) Finally, there is the compulsion to be powerful, to have everything under control.
32) The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find out the ones worth suffering for.
33) The way you measure the difference between being blessed or being spoiled is the degree to which you feel entitled to it.
34) Be with those who help your being.
35) I will learn to love the skies I’m under
Mumford & Sons
36) Someone’s therapist knows all about you.
37) None of your sins survived the cross.
38) You can cut all the flowers but you cannot keep Spring from coming.
39) How will you know if you are at the end of your journey if you take the road to another man’s city?
40) He has great tranquility of heart who cares for neither the praises or the fault-finding of men. You are not holier if you are praised, nor more worthless if you are found fault with. What you are, that you are. And no human opinion can alter who you are in the sight of God.
Thomas ‘a Kempis
41) It’s never about “them.”
42) If you don’t love the life God has given you then you’re not seeing the love God has for you.
43) Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves.
44) Suffering is a privilege. It moves us toward thinking of essential things and shakes us out of complacency. Calamity cracks you open, moves you to change your ways.
45) Everyone wants to change the world, but no one wants to help mom do the dishes.
46) If you do not transform your wounds you will transmit them.
47) Be not angry that you cannot make others as you wish them to be since you cannot make yourself as you wish to be.
Thomas ‘a Kempis
48) BONUS Freebie!
Whatever comes, God comes with it.
Caron Chandler Loveless
You can reach me at email@example.com
***And THANKS FOR SHARING THIS BLOG with someone you think may be interested.